Here’s my recipe for Smashed Avocado and Egg Toast!
I know its a stereotype that millennials love avocado toast, but if we’re being honest that’s because it’s delicious.
It’s also pretty nutritious! Avocados are a great source of healthy fat, potassium and fibre. They’re loaded with anti-aging, disease fighting antioxidants, and nearly 20 different vitamins and minerals. (Psst: to learn more about antioxidants, check out my post about their benefits and where to find them!)
And it’s aesthetically pleasing: the creamy avocado provides a perfect base for any number of toppings. That being said, it can be a bit overpriced at a brunch spot. Since I’m a Frugal Francine, I like to make mine at home.
Don’t forget about the egg!
Eggs are another super nutritious source of vitamins and minerals. Honestly, they’re pretty much the most perfect food and I could easily eat them everyday and never get bored. This recipe calls for a sunny side up egg, but you could cook them however you like best. A poached or fried would also be yummy!
And don’t be afraid to do your own thing!
I rarely ever follow all the instructions in a recipe. I like to add my own flair and sometimes I just don’t have all the ingredients! If you know the foundations for what makes a recipe work, it’s easy to branch off and customize it however you like. So consider my recipe a great base for you to explore and build off of.
You’ll need a ripe avocado, an egg, and my recipe for 90 Second Microwave Bread
Smashed Avocado and Egg Toast
- 1 piece 90 Second Microwave Bread (https://theflorilege.com/90-second-microwave-bread/)
- 1 Avocado (ripe)
- 1/4 tsp Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Egg
- Sriracha Sauce (to drizzle)
- Cut avocado and mash in bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste, and a splash of lemon juice. Mix well.
- Fry egg until cooked but still runny.
- Make one batch of my 90 Second Microwave Bread, or toast a piece of your preferred bread.
- Spread avocado mixture on bread. Drizzle with sriracha sauce, then gently place egg on top.
There you have it, my super simple recipe for Smashed Avocado and Egg Toast! It’s a great base for any other toppings you might have around the house. You could add onions, tomatoes, salsa, salmon, peppers; anything that looks good to you! What other ideas do you have to make this toast even better?